Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Another reason I love our officiant...

Mr Frenchie is SUPER nervous about our wedding ceremony. He hates public speaking and being the center of attention (one thing we are complete opposites on). Standing in front of all 130 of our guests with all eyes on us is really stressing him out.

Last night we got together to run through our ceremony so he knew exactly when things were happening and when and what he was supposed to do and say. I'm really glad we decided to do this because I found a section of out service that didn't sit right with me. At the beginning of the ceremony under "Welcome & Statement of Marriage" there was this paragraph...

"Marriage is a gift from God given to us as a holy mystery in which a man and a woman are joined together and become one, just as Christ is one with the church."

I know this is common statement at weddings, but as a supporter of Marriage Equality, this just didn't sit right with me. I sat there wondering if I should bring this up to our officiant or just let it slide. The more I thought about it the more I knew I needed to ask her to change it. I was a little nervous to make waves so close to our wedding, but I love Leanne, and I knew she would take my feeling and beliefs into consideration regarding this issue, whether or not she agrees with me.

So, I called up Leanne this afternoon and asked her if we could change it to read...

"...in which two people are joined together and become one..."

She was very supportive of my request and understood my reasoning behind it. I know I'm very fortunate to have an officiant who will let me alter our ceremony and I'm even more fortunate to have one that will let me change something to include Gay marriage. That (among other reasons) is why I LOVE our officiant.

Were/are you able to alter you ceremony to more reflect your relationship and beliefs?

No comments:

Post a Comment